Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Delorme Update

Well the unit was not what I was hoping for. While the unit was certainly a great all in one device, it did not really mount in an appropriate way to my roadbike bars. More so it did not mount at all. The only bike mount I found was more for mountain bike bars. Clearly not for higher speed aero positions. Was unfortunate but as could be expected. In addition their TOPO software which is really the only one out there doing elevation profiles (i have found) could not take a route made on a ride, and convert that to turn by turn directions. Really doing understand how this is not possible. I mean you have a billion waypoints, all going in the same direction on main roads. Can not the software TELL this and just point out the road and the turn? Really strange. Had it done that I would have tried to find a workaround to the handbar issue but it was just too many strikes in my opinion. Maps have gotten better but still not 1005. There is a road in my neighborhood that has not even existed for at least the 5 years I have been here, yet it still shows as a road on the software. Delorme did finally get my neighborhood on the map, even though google earth, yahoo, and MS all had them on their sites years before. Just really disappointing as I always though of Delorme as THE mapping company and that has clearly changed since I lived in Maine....

No comments: